About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Had quite the surprise yesterday.

So I packed my buckets to take down to the farm on our next trip.
I put my compost pile in my raised bed to break down, and to protect the 2 garlic cloves I had planted in one of the black plastic garden containers I was recycling. Covered them with some grass clippings and left them in the middle of the raised bed with the compost banked all around it.

Noticed a week ago that the garlic had sprouts up through the mulch. But that wasn't my surprise yesterday.
It was this.





We think they are cucumber plants. There was broccoli and Brussels sprouts in the compost pile too. but hubby thinks they are cucumbers.
And since he grew up on the farm, I imagine he is right. I know I'm clueless.

Happy Sunday to you all!
We have rain. Till noon, at least they say. :-)

15 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what this is. Where is my sister when I need her???

    ReplyDelete
  2. The leaves do look prickly, like a cucumber or some sort of squash. What a neat surprise though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some sort of cucurbits, I reckon - I'll always find a few seeds go into the compost pail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ..that is a tater! It is time for them to be sprouting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is potato for non hillbilly folks :)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like taters. All it takes is a peel with an eye. Lift and transplant to a good garden spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all I know is that it's not garlic...
    have a good week and maybe a few surprises too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 3rd pic looks cucumbery. The 2nd and 4th, the leaves are too round for cukes. I'll go with them other's up there and say taters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that is a good surprise and I think hubby is right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So it sounds like the real surprise is still to come. Will it be cucumber or potato - or ??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep it's a tater, you can tell by the secondary leaves. Good call Melodie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will be fun to see what comes of these -- :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. delightful, right?!
    I don't think they are cucumbers..guess you'll have to wait and see!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You make composting look like such fun! I never know if anything is sprouting in our compost pile because it is behind our big electrical box and I am afraid to get too close! I hope to change this, once we get moved to our acreage.

    Lana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥