Here are a few, anyway.
This was behind the garage, back in 2009.
Here is that area now.
Broccoli, brussels sprouts, bush beans, pickle cucumbers, watermelon. bell peppers and four dwarf, or semi-dwarf fruit trees.
These are pictures from last month, sorry. Oh, can't forget the sunflowers. Got some of those in there, too.
Since we started coming here in 2008, we have planted about 26 trees of various sorts. Three died for who knows why. Three are not for food, but hopefully for catching fish. Yup. Catalpa trees. They grow a 'worm', or caterpillar, that is supposed to be a really hot fish bait.
I don't know, but that is what I've read.
Here is one of the catalpa trees from last fall.

Most of the trees we planted were pecan trees. We also planted 2 dwarf apple trees, 1 semi-dwarf apple tree, 4 dwarf pear trees, and an orange tree.
The orange tree took two years (or maybe three, darn memory) before it showed signs of any growth-though it never lost it's leaves.
This year, it surprised us by blooming like crazy.
Now we wait and see if we get any fruit...
2009
2012
2009
2013
I know, a different sort of mess.
So there is progress being made. Seems slow sometimes.
And since I lost my train of thought - something I seem to do a lot - I'll close here.
Hope you all have a wonderful, safe, Blessed weekend! ♥
P.S. I just wanted to add that my prayers and thoughts go out to those in Texas affected by that terrible explosion.

What a beautiful spread you have. How blessed you are! I planted a fig tree this week in my yard and am hoping for the best. Enjoy watching your garden grow.
ReplyDeleteLisa
We feel blessed, Lisa, thank you. ♥
DeleteWe had a fig tree in North Carolina. You shouldn't have any problems. It was our experience that they are very fruitful!
Just cover it with netting so you get the figs before the birds. They delight in tasting each fruit!
It looks like you've done a tremendous amount of work!
ReplyDeleteHave a good weekend!
Looks like wonderful progress to me.
ReplyDeleteNothing tastes so good as what you grow yourself. The soil looks nice and dark...keep adding compost and you will be able to grow the giant beanstalk.
Ah, the miracle worms. Did you know you can roll them in cornmeal(to keep them from sticking together) if you have excess and freeze them for fish bait later in the year. Growing up our freezer always had some catalpa for emergency bait.
I am really amazed how far y'all have come with the road blocks and health issues. Keep up the great work but also remember to go fishing.
It looks really good! And you are makes huge progress!
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
You are making progress!! I wish we could grow fruit trees..too darn cold:(
ReplyDeleteWow! Your place looks beautiful Linda, You've accomplished a LOT!
ReplyDeleteLooks toooo familiar! We started ours 18 years ago and are almost finished! Your progress looks AMAZING! Love that garden. Must be great to have a crop of anything that's not johnson grass, poison ivy and chiggers! Catalpa worms as bait? Great idea! They are fat yummy-looking critters!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great photos. You've inspired me.
Oh, we still have plenty of poison ivy. And we are still fighting Johnson grass; but thank you. We are making progress.
DeleteYou're welcome for the inspiration! :-)
That is a great accomplishment. I know you are proud and you should be. Good job. I have thought about y'all during this cool spring. Maybe this was to ease y'all into the Louisiana weather.
ReplyDelete