About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday is Oak trees.

Depending on how blogger behaves, anyway. I thought I'd post some pictures. I'm going to divide them into two posts. One today and one... when I remember, haha.
I am pretty sure I've mentioned and possibly even showed you these trees before, but since I fail at memory, I'll show them again.
We estimate these trees at roughly 300 years old. I tried to get a circumference, but I didn't have the right tape measure and I wanted to avoid any possible poison ivy - though I think we finally have that under control around the trees, if not the fence or anywhere else yet.
The first tree is the one closest the gate, and if circumference is any judge, the younger of the two.







The next time I post, it'll be about the tree I call the corner tree. It's in back to the left of the gate tree. 

Blogger was being a brat, but I think the post will work. *hopes* I think you can click on the pics,  but I'm not sure. Oh well. Here goes. :)

11 comments:

  1. These are truly majestic trees, it is a privilege to have them on ones land and a real responsibility. To think what history these trees could tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the smaller one? The tape says 21 feet around?

    I still can't process what that is growing on the branches, Ivy?

    300 years ago only Indians lived here. I am so amazed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful trees! When I see trees like that I always wish I could touch them and know all they have "seen" over the ages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doc, believe me, I do indeed feel awe and a privilege to have them on our property. :)

    CCC, Yup. This is the smaller one. It's a rough measure, as you can see, but pretty close, too, I think. :) All the pictures (and my new background) are of the tree by the front gate. :) I think it probably is some sort of ivy, yeah. :)

    Melodie, they are indeed wonderful trees. I love them and always take pictures of them, even though I've taken dozens already. :) I wish we could know what they have seen, too. It would be truly awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beauties! I bet they could tell some stories! Maybe just ask them? Who knows, you might get an answer :0-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toni, you could be right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are some huge trees no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lucky you are to have such 'pieces of history' in your yard! Or rather, I should say, that they are allowing you to share their home ~ since they were there long before and will remain long after, you!

    They even look wise!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chris. *Hugs* :)

    Nancy, exactly. We are very lucky they are sharing the yard with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped by from Chicken Boys and noticed it is 81 degrees where you are...I just want to say waaaaaaah, I'm so jealous. I don't think we've had a 80 all summer and it's been raining for a couple of weeks. O.K., I'll stop whining now. Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jojo, lol. Hard to believe I'm moving where it's going to be just as hot or hotter. I would actually love some cooler temps like yours.
    Thanks for stopping buy and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥