Went to the Farmer's Market in Raleigh and got a few trees for the retirement property. Two Cape Fear pecans and an Asian pear of some sort. We're going to put the pecan trees out in the wooded pasture area to replace a couple trees. One was a pecan that weather got and the other is a pine tree. Don't need pine trees.
Anyway, I thought I'd share a picture of the property. It's from Google Earth, but is not a current photo. It does a great job of showing the new roof though, haha.
The outline is a rough property line. Along the road on one side, along two neighbors on the other three.
Hope you all have a great week!


So lovely and green and lots of trees! Google earth is fun,my boy's love it!
ReplyDeleteI love trees (especialy your oaks) but don't know much about them. I was trying to figure out which ones were the oaks in the google earth shot. Here, it takes around 20 acres to feed a cow for a year. AU (Animal Units) is what they use to measure that. I am wondering if you know what your AUs are in your farms area. Important to consider that if your planning on having livestock; lets you know what your property will hold.
ReplyDeleteThe oaks trees are beautiful! Like your new blog design. Hope you have fun setting up your sewing room. As for buying boots... I wear two pair of socks and take some plastic bags along so I can try the new boots on with what I will be wearing. Thank you for commenting on my blog :)
ReplyDeleteMelodie, thank you. :)
ReplyDeleteCCC, I don't even know which are which as they are mixed in with pecan trees and crepe myrtles and magnolias. I would have marked them had I been able to figure it out. :)'
I'm not sure about the AU. I know when the neighbor kept cows he usually had 5 or 6, but over the last couple of years, as his health failed, he only had 2 or 3. I doubt we will have more than 2 at any time, because all we have total is roughly 15 acres. I guess that is something we might have to look into, as the more we talk, the more I think we're going to have ducks and chickens and probably guinea hens, and at least one cow and the other day he actually mentioned he might want a goat (for weed control) ;) . Thanks for the heads up on that!
Callie, Thank you! And you're welcome. :)
Fifteen acres is probably more then enough to keep you busy :o)
ReplyDeleteDoc, oh, definitely! I've never had that much. I'm clueless. He talks sometimes about a huge garden, but there's only going to be the two of us, not sure how big a garden we'll need. We're going to start out with a garden behind the garage for now.
ReplyDeletePlus, since the property behind us is either cotton, corn, soy beans or some such (it's a big farm), we'll have to be careful what we plant when. But yeah, it'll keep us busy. I'd consider a pond, but I'd rather the gators stay in the bayou across the street. ;)
I meant that much property, haha. :)
ReplyDeleteYou've got quite a bit of property there.
ReplyDeleteRoom to plant lot's of stuff.
Hi Wayne. Definitely room to plant lots of stuff. Might have to get you to come down and help with ideas! ;)
ReplyDeleteHi! I stumbled across your blog today and just love it! I was looking through some of the older pics of the farm and was curious--is this a farm that your husbands' family lived on and then has been vacant for a long time? Has ownership of the farm stayed in the family all this time? My grandparents bought land and built a farm around 1940ish. My mom was raised there and when my grandparents died, she inherited it and we moved onto it, where my sister and I were raised from the ages of 8 and 12. My mother still lives there today and she is 75. Needless to say the outbuildings need a lot of repair but I would SO love to do it and move there one day. I currently live on a smaller piece of property that she also owns, about 20 miles away, but has only had people living on it for about 10 years now. First my sister and now me and my family.
ReplyDeleteEnough about me. I'm just curious about your farm and love your blog and will be following. Thanks for sharing!
Welcome, Leona! That is the way our property is, yeah. Been in my husband's family all his life and was mostly vacant, and not cared for.
ReplyDeleteOur outbuildings need a lot of repair, too. So much so that hubby has contemplated tearing them down. I keep hoping we won't have to do that, because of the history involved; but I need to be realistic and know that the odds are we will have to. Just have to wait and see.
Thanks for stopping by! :)
Hi Linda,
ReplyDeleteWe are hoping to get a few more fruit trees this fall. Our peach trees just wasn't suited for this climate.(hot and dry).
The Google Earth view is nice. I know you both are looking forward to the move.
Have a great weekend.
Pam
Hi Pam. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised your peaches didn't grow. Georgia Peach and all.
But that's the way sometimes. Of the first three pecan trees we planted, one has already died. But I think that was partly our fault as hubby wanted to get a handle on the weeds - hard to do when you can only get there twice a year - and I think we may have sprayed weed killer too close to it.
No telling. We have an orange tree in that spot now. It was looking a little peaked in May when we went back. If it's not alive in October, we'll put a pear tree there.
I want to get an apple tree, too.
We are definitely looking forward to the move.
Hope you have a great weekend, too, thank you.