About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Monday, July 5, 2010

Fishing

not catching, haha.
But I thought I'd show you a few pictures of where we fish mostly. It's mostly fresh water, but a little brackish, too.
It's a pretty little place on the Marine base that is just a few miles from our house.


There were a lot of crows out today. We usually see herons, ospreys or cormorants.


I couldn't get a better picture of the white flowers. But they remind me of hibiscus or hollyhocks. I don't think they're morning glories because they bloom all day. Lots of trumpeter vines, and the little yellow flowers are scattered all over the hillside.

We don't fish out at the end of the pier, because it's really shallow out there. Sandbars and lots of weeds. The nice thing about it, though, is it keeps boats and Sea Doos and such out. We do have competition for the fish though.
Gar, which I didn't see any of today and turtles.
There is this one big Alligator turtle that we know is in the creek, but we didn't see that today, either. It's got moss growing on it's shell. When we first started fishing here about 12 years ago, I thought this was an alligator. It was just barely visible in the water at that time.
Ever since then, we've called it the alligator tree. We've lost a lot of bobbers and fish to that tree. ;)
Today, we had another little surprise though.
A real alligator. Young, but an alligator none-the-less.
Hubby figures he's probably about 4 feet long. We were surprised to see him there.
Even though all we had were small fish today. Bluegill, pumpkinseed and a little croaker, we're going out again after dinner, when it's cooled off a bit, to see if those catfish or some bigger pan fish might be biting. :)
Hope you're all having a good Monday!

9 comments:

  1. How fun is that, alligator branches and real alligators. That's cool to see where you fish.

    I know a poem about commorants:
    The common commorant or shag
    lays eggs inside a paper bag.
    The reason that you'll see, no doubt,
    is to keep the lightening out.
    But what these unobservant birds
    have never noticed is the herds
    of wandering bears who come with buns
    and steal the bags to keep their crumbs.

    I know, I'm a bit eccentric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I live and where you live looks the same,lol! The only exception we are not close to the ocean,about 100 miles away, but we are on a large lake!

    On your jar question...I do use some jars for hot water bath caning,jelly,pickles,tomatoes,ect, if a pint caning lid will fit them.The ones in my pictures wouldn't work for caning. I never use those kind of jars for pressure caning though because they will break. Hope I helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice place to fish...aside from the alligator of course. Please tell me you go fishing with a shotgun. We're just not used to alligator talk here in New England. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melodie, your information helped a lot. I didn't think those jars could be used for canning. ;) I can see they would be great for herbs or such like that though. :)
    I wish we were on a large lake, Melodie!

    Thomas, no, we don't fish with a gun, hehe. Haven't needed to yet. He'll have to be a bit bigger before I'll worry. It is a really nice place to fish. One of the few in this part of North Carolina where you don't have to have a boat to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice place to fish. And yes, we have those alligators down this way also, with a lot of other wild critters!

    Pretty pictures.
    Have a great day.(and did it ever cool off???) It is so hot here.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pics! I've never heard of an alligator turtle...ewww. hehe And a real alligator! Eekk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully it will turn up later this summer where we can get a picture of it. We always have to watch our fish (we keep them in a live catch bag in the water), because we lost the corner of a bag and our fish to it one year. ;)

    They have lots of alligators around the area, though most that are seen are in the bigger creeks farther away. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥