About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Weeds

are the bane of most people, unless you are lucky enough to have cows, chickens and such to eat them for you. ;)
Why is it, that when I weed and mulch, they just grow back as if to say 'oh, thanks, we needed that'?
Ugh!

I use either cypress mulch or rocks. I put the black weed stop stuff down before I planted. Well, except in the flower bed directly. I need to do that this fall, I guess, if I want to dig it all up - which I don't, haha.
Oh well. As I say. Ugh.

Another thing? I know one of the blogs I read, he grows something called 'wild strawberries'. They don't look like our wild strawberries. I despise ours, by-the-way. And I would like to be able to eradicate them. They are worse than weeds because weeds you can pull. These, I often don't even know are there until I have a handful of thorns!
I didn't even KNOW strawberries had thorns until we moved into this house here.

I need a good recommendation for gloves that are semi-thorn proof. I know they make some for people who care for roses, but does anyone know any good ones? They need to come in different sizes though, because I have small hands to go with my short legs. ;)

4 comments:

  1. hahaha...unfortunately, I think I know of the wild strawberry variety you are referring to...I used to see them all the time when I was a little kid. I forget the name but they are not edible (unfortunately).

    My garden has been overtaken by weeds. Luckily, I have a week off from work to do battle with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, I wish I wasn't seeing them. They are definitely difficult to get rid of. Just when I think I've done them in, they come back with a vengeance! They're growing in the middle of my day lilies right now. Ugh!

    You might know them. They get little berries on them about the size of beans. Never bigger. Urgh.
    Haha.

    Good luck with your weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the farm stores in Alberta, UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) they have good leather ones like I wear (see post on Cowboy Tools). I use them for everything and they really protect my hands. I think they would work for you and you can buy ladies in small and even extra small. (I, of course, have small hands too. Do we look alike?) I could easy pick raspberries or roses with mine. You might try leather gloves at your farm store (I have no idea what the store is are called where you are) "Weeds are plants whose virtues we have not yet discovered." Tennyson or someone like that said that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CCC: We have a few places we can try here. I guess Agri Supply or Tractor Supply might be possibilities, though I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen there so far.
    Maybe I'll try a co-op store, if I can find one.
    I need to go back and look at the picture with your gloves.

    Haha. True about weeds, yeah. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥