When we got to the farm in December. It almost looked good.
I say almost because I don't think anything we have done so far has done anything to get rid of the Johnson grass.
This is what greeted us.
A shot at eye level.
This shot, I held the camera over my head.
I know it looks dead, and I'm hoping it is; but I'm pretty sure it's just dormant. When we cleared the space where we usually park the RV, there were hundreds of the little white root things that propagate the menace.
Oh well. Won't be long and with daily mowing we hopefully will kill it off.
Happy Wednesday! :-)

I hate weeds! I sure do hope you get rid them all!
ReplyDeleteThanks for popping by today. I would have loved to have been at the beach today but it's an hour away and hubby has to work and we are also getting ready to go back to school next week after our long summer vacation. We won't be back at the beach until Easter sadly! We will just have to try to cool down in our very warm pool!
Best wishes,
Natasha.
Maybe a dose of Round-up is in order? I think it looks pretty! :)
ReplyDeleteOh no good! I wish I knew how to get rid of it, I'd tell you!
ReplyDeleteRegardless, I think it's beautiful out there!!! I wish we had some kind of old house or structures on our land (besides a shed). We can't battle our blackberry thorns on our land --- it's awful. I wonder if we'll ever be able to walk barefoot on a cultivated lawn because those things are pervasive.
ReplyDeleteI don't know anything about Johnson grass...keep us posted.
Lana
Sharpen those blades and set the mower lowwwwww
ReplyDeleteOh Dear - you do have a problem, particularly so as you are only in casual attendance and Johnson Grass needs sustained remedial attention involving multiple eradication approaches.
ReplyDeleteHere's a very good article for you to refer to:
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/graminoid/sorhal/all.html#MANAGEMENT CONSIDERATIONS
Fire doesn't work - makes it worse, heavy grazing over several years helps (geese are good for eating the rizomes) and a mixture of chemical herbicides with regular application are required (some of them 'nasty' and may need a licence to use!)
Good luck! Certainly 'Doc's advice wont do any harm and may get it down to a level where glyophosphate sprating has a better chance.
Thanks for all your suggestions and good wishes, everyone.
ReplyDeleteJohn, that's what we're hoping for. Just need to be careful as it's poisonous when stressed. And I'm not sure what that means. We'll have to talk to the local co-op people when we can finally move there.
Actually, the article is quite clear on when it is poisonous, if a bit confusing. Thanks again, everyone, and thanks John for the link.
ReplyDelete