About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Third time's a charm?

I've been trying for 3 days to do a post. Blogger mobile has been a brat. I actually have time to use my laptop, so let's see if it will work today.

We've been here, finally, since Thursday. Three days. Hubby's brother asked how he was doing. Hubby said we are feeling a bit... weird?
We spent most of a week on the road. Got here the first time, the afternoon of the 6th. Drove straight through. Had several white knuckle moments - like rain when I could not see hubby in front of me - but we (I!) made it. I drove my new to me car, pulling our small utility trailer; he drove his truck, pulling our big utility trailer.
The utility trailer started out fishtailing. A lot! Scared the daylights out of me and I had to drive slower, too. Hubby figured (rightly) it was because of its design and made some modifications to it, in a Lowe's parking lot.


May look wonky, but it improved the tow-ability 1000%. Since it is a 'tilt' trailer, he put a hitch pin on it, too. It worked great. Only took a couple hours longer to get here than usual.

We stayed 2 days and then went right back to NC to get the last of the stuff we couldn't load on the 2 trailers. Rented a U-Haul - can't say enough good about that - and started loading the most important of what we couldn't get before. (Air compressor, bed frame, etc.)

We still had a few things to load when it started raining. And I do mean pouring. We both got completely soaked. And no way to change. So, we decided we were done packing the U-Haul - after packing a few more things, got on the road and after about 2 hours (6PM our time) we got a hotel room so we could get into some dry clothes.

We took our time getting back here to the farm. A luxury we were never able to afford ourselves before - at least in our minds.
Now we keep feeling like we need to hurry so we can get back to NC. Like we usually do.
Except that, like he told his brother when he called, there is no back to get back to.
There could be. I mean we decided to rent the house instead of sell, but there isn't really. He is still coming to grips with the fact that he is retired.

On another note, we tried painting the floor of the kitchen. He decided it wouldn't do what we wanted it to, so we are trying a self-stick tile. We put 3 pieces down, to see how it will hold, and so far we are really liking it.

I know I am way behind. Will try to catch up,but now that he is retired and we are here, I don't have as much time to be online.
Hope you are all doing well. Have a blessed, wonderful week! ♥

5 comments:

  1. How exciting for you! I know it must feel weird -- but I know you'll get in the swing. Have fun! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's difficult to decide which way is forward and which way is backward! The adjustment period is probably the worst, but it sounds like you guys are doing some exciting things...some by choice, some by necessity! But, you sure sound busy.

    Glad you didn't jack-knife with the rig swinging out of control.

    One day at a time and you'll be settled and won't ever be able to imagine anything different! I can't wait for you to get your chickens one day.

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. linda,,,,thanks so much for sticking with me through thick and thin...or happy or sad...it means the world to me! Girl, do I ever need to catch up with you...need to read back...but all sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New life! Everything is a new life....la, la, la, la (<3) Singing away!!


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. that would scare me to death!!! Driving in the rain and pulling a trailer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥