About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Sunday, August 5, 2012

EWWW!!!

WARNING - GROSS ALERT! - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!



















There was a measly 20% chance of rain yesterday and we had one heck of a thunderstorm start up about 7 PM.

I had the door open to one of the rooms in the house - they all have doors to the porch - and saw hubby quickly taking the tractor to the garage.
We have a raccoon that has taken up residence in the pasture and hubby says it is not afraid of people...

Anyway, I was sweeping out who knows how many years of trash and mouse poo. *wrinkles nose*
I had called hubby in to help with his three piece tool box. We were watching the storm while I swept. We are going to make that room a work room for now.

I have bifocals, but I still don't see well. Go figure.
As I was sweeping stuff out, I thought there was a piece of insulation on the fireplace hearth. I did think it was strange, as that 120 year old house does not have any.

But, I tried to get it with the vacuum anyway.
And then I realized.
It was not insulation.

It was a big dead rat on a sticky trap! EWWW!!!! Is what I said.
"What?" is what hubby said, as he came in from the porch.
"A dead rat on a sticky trap!" was my reply.

Fortunately hubby disposed of it for me.

I don't like pest control services that do only half the job you pay them for. :o/

In better news, we have ONE CABINET in the kitchen!
I will be staining more today. We bought 'unfinished' cabinets because they are cheaper and neither of us is good at building such things.
And I'd like to start learning how to make home made bread this year, haha.

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday! ♥

8 comments:

  1. Wow, y'all are flying on the work.

    When you get through, I can use you both here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another things that husbands are great for!!! :-)!!!

    I hope your day is ending on a good note!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to let Victor read this post. I know he'll get a kick out of it.

    Watch that 'coon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Mike! Ok, well the good news is that it was dead. I was afraid you were going to reach for it and find it was still alive...things like that seem to happen over here! Sounds like you are busy, busy and making good progress! Take care and have a safe week..;j

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel. After my grandmother passed away we were cleaning out the house and I found preserved mice in the cabinets. They died from Decon so they didn't decay.

    Our raccoons are not afraid of people either, the babies are skittish but Mama just sits with us and eats left over cat food. They do come out in the day, not just at night like most people think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda - You sure are living the country life! The experiences you are having are scary, but cracking me up. You have so many critters around you...alive and dead! Just make sure one of those racoons doesn't decide to move in and snuggle up!

    Good luck with the cabinets, I bet it will all come together beautifully, even if it feels painfully slow. Just take it day by day.

    Lana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our raccoons are having great times in the corn fields now, between them and the deer and the porcupines there is always a party going on out there.


    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, better a dead rat than a live one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥