460 pounds of pecans looks like.
This is what I've been doing for the last few weeks, around laundry, helping hubby in the yard, grocery shopping, fishing, of course; and trying to teach myself about mending clothes.
We have several types of pecan trees. I am very thankful to Eva-Lou Joffrion's family, or whoever had the foresight to plant them. Here are a few of them.
The two on the left are what are called Native pecans. They are often worth more than others because they have a high oil content. I have about 60 pounds of those right now. They are in the pantry. I kept them aside in hopes that later they might be worth more.
Next (third from left) is what we believe is called Caddo, but we're not sure.
Next is Elliot, then what is called Papershell, and the one on the far right is a Stewart.
We have planted four pecan trees ourselves, and want to plant a couple more. For whoever comes after us, if they have the sense to keep them.
So what did 460 pounds of pecans mean?
It meant $230 when we sold them in town, for lumber, nails and screws to work on the garage with.
But that's another post for another day. We are on the fringes of the Verizon coverage here on the farm. Sometimes there are so many disconnects, I can't even get blogs to load, let alone read them or comment. I'm lucky it's been good to me tonight. :o)
Hope you are all having a good week. Those of you with snow already, be careful and stay warm.
Those of you who are or were in the path of Sandy, I hope you are okay. You are in my prayers. ♥
I wanted to edit this post to say that we found out we do not have an elliot tree. Apparently it is Cape Fear, according to the guy at the Pecan Buying place. Good to know. :o)


Gracious. That's a bag full of nuts.
ReplyDeleteAmazing, Just amazing.
ReplyDeleteHoly Cow!
ReplyDeleteBut how many does it take to make a pound? Teasing!
ReplyDeleteThat is a wonderful crop and dearly earned.
It is nice that you can gain an income off a few trees.
ReplyDeleteUm, how many trees produce that many pecans?
ReplyDeletehave you counted them all? Oh my lawd, that is a bunch of nuts, you have done gone crazy with the picking!
ReplyDeleteGood job! It must have been a half way decent year for pecans:)
ReplyDeleteCool! I've never seen all the different types laid side beside before!
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com
Wow, that's a lot of pecans. Great asset to have on your land! :)
ReplyDeleteYes it is. :o)
DeleteThat's a lot of pecans! I can't eat nuts unless I grind them to powder but I LOVE pecans, especially in cookies and spice cakes. What a haul you had.
ReplyDeleteI think this is such an interesting post. LindaG, our next door neighbor has a Northern pecan tree. He gave me one when we went to pick the Pixie apples. I must read more on them and see how hard it is to get the meat! Thank you for commenting and visiting tonight! So glad your connection is/was working! May the Lord bless you abundantly in pecans and in all ways, but especially in peace, joy, and grace of God!
ReplyDelete