Went mostly well.
Yup. Hubby got his pacemaker yesterday early afternoon.
The anesthetic did not do his job. I don't remember the name, but BIL said it is one that often makes people forget what happened.
Hubby was awake the whole time. Said it felt like a drill with a wire brush on it.
Doctor claims he got 8 cc? mg? of whatever it was, but hubby said it did nothing for the pain. He was talking to them during the whole procedure.
BIL said that this drug is often... faked? in the medical community. Apparently there is a... black market or some such? He's not saying the hospital was necessarily at fault; but based on the fact that hubby's medication did not work, it is quite possible he got a fake drug. :-|
Mostly the hospital staff did a good job. Seems like there was a lot of... uncertainty? for a place that does these procedures routinely.
They were good about the pain medicine after surgery though.
Doctor said hubby was supposed to get a home telemetry deal to keep track of his pacemaker, but no one on staff knew anything about it when we were being released to come home.
Ah well. There will be time enough for that. We are home now. Hubby is sleeping in his chair that we bought just for this procedure, as he can't use his left arm for a minimum of two weeks; though his doctor said it will probably be three weeks. Just to be certain the leads take in his heart and don't need to be reset.
The real trick will be keeping hubby to that after this weekend when he starts feeling better!
Hope you all have a wonderful, safe, blessed weekend. ♥

I was just getting on here to send you an email and here you updated. Glad it went without complication although that no anesthesia thing not working had to be horrible. Just hearing about that makes me scared for the next thing I need to have done. I've hear that before about that type anesthesia, hmmmm. At the very lease he is home and now your biggest problem is keeping him tied to that chair. take care.
ReplyDeleteI am glad it was successful but so sorry for the pain issue! That's terrible.
ReplyDeleteHubby has an ICD which includes the shocker. He was awake when they tested it, scared the staff (he yelled) and told Hubby he wasn't suppose to feel that. Well, he did!
ReplyDeleteGlad your Hubby is doing well. May he rest, heal and listen.
Glad the surgery went well. Hope he feels better soon. That's terrible about the pain. After reading Gail's comment too it makes you wonder if this happens often. That is scary.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if that is what happened with me when I had both ends of the GI tract checked. It was awful. I told the Dr later I was angry because I was supposed to be out; not awake. He said "you slept like a baby". I said "no I didn't and I'm sorry I kept yelling at you, I really didn't mean to..." He patted my shoulder and said "don't worry about it". It makes me frightened to think I or a family member may have to have a procedure done and it will happen again.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear the surgery went well although that is a bit frightening that the anesthesia didn’t work. I would have thought that the monitors would have been letting the surgical staff know that something was wrong as pain would have made his heart rate higher from the agitation. Something is very wrong there.
ReplyDeleteGeez, that sounds miserably off the wall! I hope he gets to feeling good real soon!
ReplyDeleteLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com