I wanted to show you that crepe myrtle I talked about that was at the farm. Also, I realize that I was wrong in my last post. It was July of 2008 that was our first trip to the farm. Gosh it was HOT. 110 one day. That's why we moved trips back to May and the fall sometime. Well, that and the crawfish. ;)
So, here is one of the first pictures I took of the farm, when we arrived that summer.
I stood under the crepe myrtle to take this picture. That's where the kitchen is. You can see damage to the... eaves or whatever it's called, but that wasn't done by the crepe myrtle. When they re-roofed the house, that was all they did. They didn't fix anything else so we'll need to do all that and hope that we don't have to redo the roof again, too.
This is the base of the crepe myrtle. It was HUGE. It broke my heart to have to cut it down. I've not seen a crepe myrtle around here as big as this one was. I guestimate the oak trees at between 200 and 300 years. I could be wrong. Don't know if you can guess the age without killing it and I have no intention of doing that. Still, I think this was a grand old crepe myrtle.
Here, you can see some of why we had to cut it down. It must have been sick for a while because I don't think termites attack live trees. All that green behind it was the back yard that first summer. It had grown right up to the house. The neighbor mowed what he could, but when they re-roofed the house, they just tossed the wood, nails and tin in the yard and left it so he understandably stopped mowing.
Another shot of the termite damage.
We can't risk using the wood, either, because we don't want to chance termites around the house. Terminix treats it yearly.
At some point I'll replace the crepe myrtle, but it'll be the grand kids or great grand kids who see it grow that big.
Ah well. The cycle of life, right?
You all have a great weekend! I should be around again by Tuesday for sure. :)





It is so sad to see those grand old places fall into neglect and disrepair. It is wonderful that you guys are committed to repairing and restoring it. We never had that chance with our old farm home as it burned down in 1964. Just a warning it only took 8 minutes for that old cypress house like yours to burn to the ground. So be very careful about fires : )
ReplyDeleteWell I guess 40 below is good for something. No termites here. I love trees. So few where I live and not so old but great friends nevertheless.
ReplyDeleteI agree, that was a huge crepe myrtle tree.
ReplyDeleteWe have a huge oak in our front yard that lighting struck a few years ago. The bark is hanging off the streak where it hit and now it looks like bugs are eating the tree under the bark. My husband said we may have to cut it down. I can't bear to think about it. This tree is huge and old. For now it still has leaves and I think it still has hope, too.
Yes, it is the cycle of life..
Have a great weekend.
Pam
CQ, thanks for the warning. That is way fast and we will definitely be careful with fire.
ReplyDeleteCCC, That's what I liked about cold, too. No typical bugs. :)
Pam, I feel for you. There's a pecan tree in the wooded pasture that I am pretty sure was hit by lightning. When we first saw it 2 years ago, hubby was afraid we'd have to cut it down and he was disappointed because it had always been a good pecan producer. Well, I suggested we wait, and with all the other stuff more needing to he left it. This last trip in May, it is looking a lot better. You can still tell that it was probably hit by lightning, but I think it will be a good producer for a few more years yet.
I hope your oak tree survives, too.
Thanks, Pam. Hope you have a great weekend, too.