About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Hot hot.

Prayers for West Virginia.

We have been doing afternoon/evening fishing because of the heat. We caught 2 yesterday and 3 today. Just pan fish, but we both like those. They fry up well.

No pictures of the fish, just pictures of the lake, and a turtle that kept checking us out yesterday.


It's hard to see the turtle here. sort of lower left, but in the green area just above the white reflection. Sorry. Haha. I can see it because I know where it was. It kept popping its head out. Then it would go under, swim a bit, and pop its head up again.


It's a little more clear in this picture. Not sure why it kept checking us out, but it did.

Changing to afternoon/evening fishing isn't perfect at 90 plus degrees, but it has helped a lot.


And today we got to help a turtle. We selected a spot to fish - I'll try to get pictures next time - and we saw this big splash. When we got out to the tree we were going to tie up to, I noticed a trot line tied around it and going down into the water. I looked down and a turtle was caught on one of the hooks. I had to use my cane to grab the line because it was wrapped around the tree maybe 6 inches under the water. I tried to pull the line up, but another hook was hooked to an underwater stump. I got hubby to come help and he cut the line to the hook that was hooked in the turtle's leg. Then we cut the trot line off the tree and brought it home to throw away.
For those of you who don't know, a trot line is a long line with hooks every few inches. The hooks are baited and tossed into the water, usually for catching catfish. The line is supposed to be tagged with the person's information, and checked daily. It should have been removed when the person finished with it. Who knows why it wasn't.

I have a mild sinus headache right now, but it was a really nice day for fishing.

Hope you are all having a blessed weekend!

10 comments:

  1. It seems that the fish were fighting for a chance to bite the hook...

    Unattended trot lines (also called 'gang lines') shouldn't be legal in my opinion. Then again, that's true of a lot of things. If somebody is there doing the fishing, that's ok. Leaving them seems very wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for rescuing the turtle. They do taste pretty good if you wanted to eat it.

    I love the reflections. The water is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up and you'll have a show on the History Channel.
    I shall name the hidden turtle, Waldo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's hot these days. Liberal pinkos will attribute the heat to man made global warming. I would assign the temperatures lately to the fact that it's summer.

    But what do I know, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I know, right? Like the planet has never been hotter than this before.
      And yes, summer has definitely started.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a pretty lake Linda! I hear ya on the heat. We don't get the humidity that you do though. Congrats on the fish, I bet they will be tasty!
    Hope you're feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I woke up with some aches and pains, but fortunately the headache was gone. Thank you. ^_^

      Delete
  6. It's just nice to be out and near the water on days when it's so hot. And rescuing a turtle, and catching a fish or two is a bonus! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! The hot weather sure is here! I've enjoyed visiting!

    Lana - FarmLifeLessons

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope your headache stays away. Not good anytime, but especially bad when it is so hot. Your fishing spot is lovely. Lucky turtle to be saved by you two. Hope you get more fish next time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥