About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Monday, May 23, 2011

What a trip

Lots of pictures. Mostly of before. All we did was mow, and we didn't get all that done. Lots of poison ivy, too.
Oh well. We did have really nice weather. Dry though. Which is good and bad. Made for lots of laundry.


This picture was taken at eye-level in the back yard after hubby had mowed a couple pathways. It's Johnson grass.




No back yard this trip. All my hard work to clear the back of the house. I guess I should be glad I can still see the back of the house.


I was excited when I saw what looked like peas. :)



There were hundreds, if not thousands of these all over the farm and pasture. But, as near as we can tell they are wild peas, which are poisonous and not field peas, which would be useful.

I was happy to see the bit of fence line that I cleared had remained clear. :)
Something to show for the poison ivy rash I had, haha!


You can see there, behind the pump house, no green on that little bit of fence there.

There were lots of HUGE thistles with spines that I wondered how they didn't puncture the mower tires.





There were a lot more than what I took pictures of. That's just to show you the size of the thistles.

I think I'll stop here for now.

Crazy weather around the country. Thoughts and prayers to all affected by the latest tornado in Missouri. ♥

8 comments:

  1. Linda,
    I'm starting to think this retirement project is getting to be work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc, haha. You're right. ;-)
    Hope you all have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father used to peel the stalk of the thistle and eat it like celery : ) It's hard maintaining a piece of property from a long distance away and frustrating...I owned a rental property for 20 years and it drove me crazy trying to keep it up from almost 1000 miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CQ, that sounds interesting. I like my celery with PB. :)
    It's definitely hard. And expensive now. Ugh. Oh well. What can you do.
    That's part of the problem with the property right now. His brother was doing that same thing. He just always left everything up to the renters and sometimes they didn't care.

    Happy Tuesday to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I've never heard of wild peas....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicole, I hadn't heard of them either, until this trip to the farm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart lept when I saw that gigantic pea pod. Too bad they aren't the shelling kind. Ecstasy is this farm's middle name come shelling pea harvest time!
    Who knew there was a poisonous kind of pea?! That just doesn't seem right.
    You have been busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danni, I know what you mean. I figured what a great natural feed for animals. And I wanted to go out and collect a bunch of them and cook them up.
    What a bummer when hubby identified them as wild and poisonous, not field and edible.
    Of course it's possible that animals can eat them safely I suppose. Will need to do more research.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥