About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

So, I got drugs

from the doctor for my poison ivy. Hubby figured after a week with the rash not getting any better, I needed to see the doctor. So I did.
Got an 8 day steroid tablet thing, a medical Benadryl equivalent that makes me sleepy, and some hyped up cortisone cream and Nystatin cream.

Also found out from the doctor that the effects of poison ivy are additive, I think is the word? She said probably the first time I contacted poison ivy I probably didn't even get a rash.
But I sure got it this time. Not good. We may have to consider hiring someone to clear the fence line. I was thinking of borrowing some goats. A friend knows someone who has some, but that will only clear our side of the fence and we need to clear it all to have any chance of getting rid of the ivy.

So basically, I'll have to do laundry every day we're there. Rugs, too, since the doctor said clothes can leave traces to get reinfected with. Ugh.
Oh well, at least the rash is looking better.
Hope you're all having a great day!

11 comments:

  1. Makes me want to scratch :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. PI is bad stuff. I use Round Up on ours every summer to keep it at bay. Yes it can get on your gloves or tools and give you PI all over again..months later. I have found that Fels Naptha soap works wonders to stop it...after working outside I scrub down my arms and hands really well. I also have Jewelweed soap that I use every night in the summer.
    You should recover quickly now with the meds:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, Haha. Fortunately I am not scratching as much as I was. :)

    CQ, Thanks, hehe. :)

    Far Side, thank you for the tips. I think I need to fine me some of those soaps for our next trip in May. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I've been so fortunate to have never run into the stuff. Glad you are getting some relief...ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jojo, I'm glad to hear that. I will definitely have to be more careful. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry it didn't get any better for you Linda. Your husband was right to get you to the doc.
    Hope your medicated recovery is swift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got something, somewhere in the yard, I manage to get into every spring when I do my initial weeding. I just use Ivy Dry, and that seems to take care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, thank you. It does seem to be working. I'm not itching quite as bad. :)

    Wayne, I've not heard of that, but I'll look into it; because no matter how hard I try, I'm bound to come in contact with it. We've been very aggressive with trying to exterminate the ivy, but it's a lot harder to get rid of this time. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Linda, I'm making my way thru some older posts. I was wondering, I don't think I'd really know Poison Ivy or Poison Oak leave distinctions right off the bat. I believe I was taught, "Leaves of Three...Let Them Be." But, I'm not sure about Poison Oak. I also remember being told to not burn these plants because the smoke, if breathed, is toxic to the lungs. Anyway, Deputy Dave got a bad case of Poison Ivy one time and it was horrible. I hope you're staying clear...I'm with you on the goats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lana, that's how I identify it. Leaves of 3, let it be. Even though not all 3 leaved plants are poison ivy, right now I figure better safe than sorry.

    I'll do a post, later, of some of the poison ivy we have around the farm...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥