About Me

My photo
Retired, housewife, mother of three. Picking up the pieces after God decided the 145 year old farmhouse was no longer the house for us. Praise God for His mercy and love!

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Almost Friday

We're heading back home tomorrow. Got a lot of mowing done. Would have done more, but we're trying to get rid of the Johnson grass before we move down here, so we did some spraying. I'm not real hot on that, but since we don't have anyone who can do the mowing any more, that's how we've decided to handle it.

It was kind of disappointing, but really not a surprise I guess, to see all the grass after almost nothing in February. The Johnson grass is like, 10-12 feet high in some places. And of course there are vines and poison ivy all over everything, too.

A handful of cattle egrets came to watch us mow the pasture. They wanted to be sure we did a good job and to help us with the little lizards and snakes and such. ;)
No pictures because it is way too dry and dusty right now to trust taking the camera out mowing, sorry. I did take pictures this trip. Not as many as other times; but I took some and I'll post them after we're home.

Those of you who have red dirt, is there anything in particular you need to do to increase the fertility? Do you just make compost, or do you put down lime, or what?
Inquiring minds want to know.  ;)

Happy Friday to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hope you have a safe trip back. I'm in north La. and do have some red dirt and clay. I little tomato bed is on top of red clay. We will see how it ends up, but it looks great right now. I have leaves and pine straw as mulch and this will help the soil a lot. My top five or six inches of soil are good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a variety of soils here, Linda, but when I was growing up, we did have the red clay like Becky. I would imagine amendments such as peat moss, manure, compost and black dirt would go a long way to make it better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. God bless. ♥